An inner harmony


I want first of all to be at peace with myself. 
I want a singleness of eye, a purity of intention,
A central core to my life that will enable me
To carry out these obligations and activities as well as I can.
I want, in fact, to borrow from the language of the saints :
To live ‘in grace’ as much of the time as possible.
I am not using this term in a strictly theological sense.
By grace I mean an inner harmony, essentially spiritual,
Of which can be translated into outward harmony.
I am seeking perhaps what Socrates asked for
In the prayer from the Phaedrus when he said,
"May the outward and inward man be One."
I would like to achieve a state of inner spiritual grace
From which I could function and give
As I was meant to in the eye of God.
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh


Painting by Elisabeth Slettnes

Comments